Tuesday, November 27, 2012

On Cloud 9! My 3DTP is a Winner!!


I just found out this morning that my "3DTP" quilt won 2nd place in Sew Sweetness' Tula Pink Sew Along!!!!  I am beyond thrilled and surprised!!  I got to give Tula Pink credit for her beautiful fabrics!!  They really made the quilt!  Considering that Tula Pink picked the winners herself, is even more exciting!

Thank you, thank you, thank you Tula Pink, Sara, and all of the sponsors for holding this sew along!!  My quilting library will double with this prize, my ruler collection will more than quadruple, I'll be making another thread storage box, and I've never even seen the bias tape maker in action.  I can't wait to see the patterns too!! How amazing!!!

Several people have asked how I made this quilt, and if I used a pattern, so I thought I'd share a quick "pattern" right here, since I made it up myself.  Tula Pink is also giving away free patterns this week!!!!
I started with 3 yards of the background fabric (you may be able to get away with less, but this was plenty for the front with lots of fabric left over), and 1 yard of the gray fabric (again, you may be able to get away with less), plus 8 fat quarters of Tula Pink The Birds and The Bees fabric.
I sub cut the fat quarters into 4,    8.5 by 8.5 inch squares.  There are 30 squares in the quilt top, so you could easily use 30 different fabric squares too.  I had 2 left over squares, from the 8 fat quarters, which I put on the back...

I cut the gray fabric into 2.5 inch strips (width of fabric).  I'm afraid I didn't write down how many or take any pictures.

I then sub cut these into 30,   2.5 by 6.5 inch rectangles and 30,   2.5 by 8.5 inch rectangles.

I also cut out a few 2.5 inch (width of fabric) strips of the background fabric, and sub cut these into 60,    2.5 by 2.5 inch squares.

I then sewed a small background square onto each of the grey rectangles, then sewed the shorter pair onto each of the large center squares, then sewed the larger gray/lavender pair onto that.  Make sense?  Again, sorry I don't have any pictures, but here's one of the finished blocks "auditioning" sashing widths...

I decided to go with 3.5 inch sashing strips cut from the background fabric (3 inch finished), but putting them closer of further apart looks great too.  I'm afraid Google just decided right now to tell me that I've run out of picture space for my blog and now have to pay extra to add more  Boooo......

I hope that there's enough pictures and information above to make one of your own!!  I've had more than a few comments telling me that husbands really like this pattern.  I love it because, like me, it's very geeky!

Finally, considering our crazy last few last weeks with a stolen credit card and both of our vehicles in the shop, this surprise was such a welcome change!!  We're back on our feet pretty much now, and this gives me a great "forward push" again!!  Thanks!

8 comments:

  1. I saw that you'd won, Becky - I'm so happy for you! It's very well-deserved; you've created a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Becky! It's a lovely quilt; that's for sure! Well-deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Your quilt really is stunning so the win is well deserved. And thank you so much for sharing how you did it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! I love your pattern, it's awesome! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Becky. Congratulations and the award is well deserved. Your quilt is beautiful and the illusion is well done. To say nothing of your meticulous craftsmanship. Have a happy holiday season with lots of stitching!
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky Girl!! Glad you have something positive going now... the rest will follow on the upbeat side. Sometimes we need the little negatives to reinforce and accentuate the Positives!!! Of course as I said before- Great Quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your win - and what a great prize! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Szuper!! Nagyon tetszik a munkád! :)

    ReplyDelete